Thursday, September 18, 2008

Blogs

Interesting...I just got a Blog comment from "anonymous" on my post below titled "Getting Red Going Green". I was chastised for not keeping up on my Blog. I'm not sure how to feel...first they're right - I haven't kept up on my writing lately. But, second - where is their Blog? Who are they? What right do they have to judge my frequency of writing? Third, I put the Blog out there so should I be judged? Perhaps.

Anyway, here come the excuses...

Times are tough. I've been working from home for 5 or 6 years now I think, providing for my family from my various e-commerce endeavours. I started looking for work outside of the online realm, much to my demise. Even worse I found a job. And to top it off, I found another.

So, a month later, I went from working at home full-time to working two jobs for a total of around 70 hours a week for someone else.

I have a background in restaurant management, and fell into position as the Front of the House Manager at a local Irish Pub. The Pub is owned by Matt Hensley - ex-professional skateboarder, and band member of the fairly famous Flogging Molly. It's a fun, lively atmosphere with live music every night and a young clientele and staff. I enjoy it despite the fact that I don't drink and am not Irish. I work there approximately 30 hours a week, 4 nights a week.

I was happy to find a job in the evening allowing me to pursue my own businesses in the daytime, still be home when my boys get out of school and so on. But when I got the Pub job, I was just filling is serving, and the hours were less regular and not management, so I kept looking.

Amazingly after a few weeks I found another job doing basically what I've been doing myself - at home, though for someone else. The company has more business than I did, and they know more than I do about several areas of web-design and I was excited to learn some new stuff, get paid and still be working with eBay and websites. It was a part-time gig too and I could basically make my own schedule.

Then it all came together...or fell apart - depending on how you look at it. My skills were appreciated at the web design job and they gave me an enormous raise and asked me to work full-time. I accepted and things have been great there.

A few weeks later, the Pub asked me to start managing 3-4 nights a week - a raise was given and now I suddenly have two jobs for 70-hours a week or more. Don't forget I never quit running my own businesses at home, but they've definitely taken a back seat.

So, why haven't I been Blogging? Maybe I could start a band - Blogging Molly!

No comments: