Monday, November 03, 2008

Head clearing

What is 'head clearing'? It's when I do a download...a mind dump to get stuff off my mind.

Work - too much. I remember now why I didn't like having a 'job' and a boss. It's not either the job or the boss - I have two jobs now, and two bosses, and really like both. But it's the loss of freedom. I'm an entrepreneur at heart. I like to be free to make my own path, my own decisions and work - at least mine - just doesn't lend itself to that.

But, times are tough out there, and I need to feed my family, pay bills and take care of business - so I suck it up, shut up and go to work.

Kids - love 'em. I have four kids. They're all so unique and different and I love each of them for their own merits. My oldest son Cole is turning 18 today. Wow, feeling old right about now. My youngest, Jacob is 8. And I have two in the middle, Dylan 12 and Teddi my daughter is almost 16.

The older two live with their mom locally, and the younger two with me. The younger two keep me busy and unfortunately between their Baseball, Boy Scouts, School, and my two jobs, I don't see my older two very often. Add to this that they're teen agers..heck adults and they just don't really want to hang out with Dad too much. It's kind of a bummer - but life I guess.

Location - we've been trying to move to Big Bear, California for a few years now, but with the housing market stinking it up out here in California, it's just not happening. We talked with a mortgage guy the other day about refinancing and that's not going to happen either. So, the newest plan, save some money, pay off some debt and move to Big Bear and rent our home and hope and pray for the best renters in the world. Cross you fingers.

Racing - I haven't done any Adventure Races in months. If you've known me for long, I did 4 two years ago I think, and 7 last year as I recall. Love them...but need to be fit and honestly it's been tough...well if we're being honest - I've been lazy. With my schedule, when I did have time to train I usually opted not too. But, I'm back at it. I have a snowshoe race coming up in 2 months. I got third last year so I'm going to start shooting for that. I've been running 5-6 miles 3 days a week - either road or trail runs, and riding my road or mtn. bike the days in between. I usually don't do any workouts on the two days that I work my day job and then night job in the same day - my 'double' as we call it, pretty much zaps me. They're 16 hour work days and they're always back to back so I just can't do it. But other than that I've been pretty disciplined lately. I wanted to get some kayaking in again and some high altitude hiking to get my legs and lungs strong for the snowshoe race as it's up in Big Bear at over 6,000 feet to START and climbs around 1000 to 1500 feet from there.

Halloween came and went, before you know it Thanksgiving will be past and Christmas is just around the corner. Dang, it only reminds me we were hoping to be in Big Bear by now. Bummer. We booked a week up there at Christmas...keep the dream alive!

Ok, so you're all caught up. I'm busy, but doing well. Hanging in there - you do the same!

No comments: